Where does one buy custom-designed and printed packaging?
Because so many products that we consume are made in China, people mistakenly think that taking business overseas is the only option.
I assure you, you don’t have to go to China for a good price on most types of packaging. There are an abundance of quality packaging professionals and packaging companies in the U.S. that offer competitive pricing. In Southern California alone I can count hundreds of medium to large size businesses that offer all types of packaging. Everything from paperboard folding cartons, rigid boxes, labels, corrugated shippers to foam inserts and “blister packs”, glass bottles, containers… you name it.
Benefits to buying from local or national packaging suppliers are:
- Communication – naturally there isn’t a language barrier, and answers to questions can be immediate as opposed to taking an entire day or longer from overseas.
- Speed – transit alone can be worth staying with a US manufacturer. Before it hits the boat, your packaging could already have arrived, been filled, and ready to be unloaded at retail stores. U.S. Manufacturers also have the flexibility to speed up the process or put you in front of others to get your packaging done faster.
- Negotiations and Leverage – a manufacturer likes when you require a large volume, but that doesn’t necessarily mean of the same packaging. Multiple packaging needs such as different styles of packaging or versions of the same brand, etc. can entice the manufacturer to strike a deal that is mutually beneficial. You may need to sign a contract, but your leverage as a potential client with continuous business is what manufacturers are looking for.
- Logistics – shipping is a necessity but the good news is it’s a flooded market. In much the same way as manufacturers, you can find preferred logistic companies and with continuous business to offer them, you can save a lot on transportation.
- Alliances – Perhaps you’re fulfilling or co-packing your product across the country while your packaging manufacturer is close to you. Improving the proximity between these essential services can save you time and money. For example, if there is something amiss with the packaging, the distance between the fulfilling facility and packaging manufacturer will be a factor, costing more time and money reshipping. Now more than ever, packaging professionals can help you find other packaging and fulfilling sources from every corner of the nation, especially with the help of social networks such as LinkedIn. It’s a small packaging world, everyone knows everyone, and that’s good for you!
We are living in a “Global Economy”, but the sound advantages of pursuing US resources before taking your business offshore cannot be ignored.
All these companies have their strengths and weaknesses, their target market. Whether you are a good fit for a particular company, in order to get the best service, price and quality is the tricky part to recognize and where professional assistance is key.
Here’s to good packaging options!
Would You Like A Packaging Price Quote?